Are you feeling a little slouched or noticing your shoulders aren't quite where they should be?
We've all been there.
Good posture is vital not only for our appearance but also for our overall health and well-being.
If you're wondering how to improve your posture, you're in the right place. Advanced Care Physical Therapy can be your guiding light.
Why good posture matters
A resident of our local community, Ben had been working from home for more than a year when he noticed a constant ache in his back and shoulders.
Thinking it was just the result of his new work routine, he ignored the problem. But he eventually realized his posture had significantly deteriorated because of prolonged sitting.
To correct his posture, Ben started doing home exercises. It was a step in the right direction. But he needed professional help to address the root cause of his posture issues.
The power of physical therapy
This is where physical therapy comes in! Physical therapy goes beyond regular exercise.
A treatment program harnesses specific exercises and stretches designed to enhance posture. More than just strengthening muscles, it's about achieving balance and alignment in the body. Only licensed physical therapists have the specialized education to understand the intricate movements of the human body.
Best PT exercises to correct posture
If you want to know what sort of magic happens during a PT session, consider the following exercises, any of which a physical therapist might recommend for posture correction:
- Plank pose: A full-body workout that not only strengthens your core but also promotes a straight spine.
- Chin tuck: Helps realign the cervical spine and counteracts the forward-head posture many of us have developed from screen time.
- Pectoralis stretch: Great stretch for the chest and helps counteract the rounded shoulders.
- Towel-/foam-roll stretch: Perfect for opening up the back and correcting hunched posture.
- Pilates roll-up/yoga sit-up: Promotes spine health and core strength.
- Other targeted exercises: These might focus on increasing flexibility in the head, neck, and shoulders or strengthening muscles around the shoulder blades and core.
Practicing good posture every day
Remember, it's not only about the exercises. To truly benefit, you need to be aware of your posture throughout the day. Whether you're standing in line, sitting at a desk, or lying down, think about your alignment.
With time, mindfulness coupled with PT exercises can work wonders.
Get the right posture with Advanced Care Physical Therapy
At Advanced Care Physical Therapy, our dedicated team is here to provide you with the personalized treatment plan you need to stand tall and confident.
Why wait? If you want to improve your posture and live a more comfortable and confident life, reach out to us.
Located conveniently throughout Western New York, in Amherst, Buffalo, Lockport, Niagara Falls, Orchard Park, South Williamsville, Wheatfield, and Williamsville, Advanced Care Physical Therapy is here to guide you on your journey to good posture.